Tuesday, June 24, 2014

In the beginning...

Not sure if starting a blog is a good idea or not, but I wanted to find a way to share memories, pictures, random thoughts, projects and other miscellanous brain fodder with family and friends or whoever else wants to listen.  Was telling some old stories the other day and my (captive) audience seemed to enjoy the flashes from my past.

This evening I was playing around with my 13 year old daughter and asked her what she thought of my idea....she was a little hesitant at first but then hopped right on my bandwagon...Couldn't help but think that maybe she might be a little embarrassed for me....maybe because I didn't have enough common sense to be embarrassed for myself.  :) Kids these days...she's all for it now that she's helped me design the blog background and ummmm...coached me through setting this whole thing up.  My 26 year old son, on the other hand, has left the room shaking his head. Not sure if that is a good sign or not.

I was making dinner and thinking about things...lots of things. Was trying to decide on a name for this blog...if it did, in fact, become a blog.  I think a lot, perhaps too much at times.  So I thought "musing" might be a good part of my title...and I am actually middle-aged (maybe a little past if you figure in the average life expectancy of modern females). Mess is sort of self-explanatory...I actually could not call myself a HOT mess unless we are talking about menopause or Summer heat. Heheheh!

Anyway, I am a 51 year old married mother of three. I have lots of experience with children...well MY children anyway....and on work days, other people's children too.  My husband, Ed, was working as a chef when I met him.  He is now working as a security guard (midlife career change). Eric, my 26 year old bachelor son, is back at home and helps me with his brother and sister.  My 13 year old daughter, Maryellen, is my tomboy/princess/middle child who wouldn't hurt a fly but would massacre her brothers in a heartbeat.  She makes HIGH High Honors and I am just a little bit proud of her!!! (Can you tell?) Paul is my 9 year old son. He is my sweetheart.  He is high functioning on the Autism Spectrum and is the most wonderful soulful, creative little man on my planet!  I am the lucky recipient of all of his hugs and kisses!!!  He makes me feel like the most special mom in the world when he bestows a hug on me, turns his cheek to me for a kiss or spontaneously kisses me because he knows how much his kisses mean to me.  Am I done bragging?  For now, I guess.... :)

We have 3 cats....Coco & Flame are 12 year old littermates that we adopted as kittens.  Maryellen was naming EVERYTHING "Coco" when she got her cat...so no surprise, another Coco.  Eric named his cat "Flame" because he has a flame-shaped marking on his forhead.  Paul was feeling a little left out so he started hinting at having a pet of his own.  He also treated the older cats like kittens..which they did not appreciate.  One day, when the kids were walking home from school, Paul and Eric found a scrawny little black and white kitten huddled on a trash can, shivering and mewing pitiously in the pouring rain.  The call I got at work went something like this...Eric: "Mom, you're not going to believe what Paul found.  He is so excited!" Me: "Did he find an Angry Birds toy? Did he get another Silver Dollar?"  Eric: "No, why don't I let him tell you..." Paul: "My prayers have been answered!" Me: "Really, Paul, that's wonderful! What did you find?"  Eric: "He tossed the phone to me. He wanted to pet it again." Me: "Pet...pet what?" Eric: "Well...We're not sure if it's a boy or a girl..."  To make a long story super short...they found this kitten.  They wanted this kitten.  They brought the kitten inside, out of the pouring rain. So now we have Silky.  "Silky Merlin Magic Oreo Dipped in Milk Eating Doughnuts Covered in Chocolate He's a Ninja Mescall" to be exact.  Every day, his name became longer and longer depending on what cuteness exuded from the tiny little kitten that grew like crazy over night.  And I mean GREW!!!  He goes from a tiny little shivering undernourished mass to a well-fed full bellied all boy frisky mischevious wild kitten over night.  All he needed was a little love and some food in his belly.  Don't we all?

Enough for now....




No comments:

Post a Comment